Blepharoplasty is the procedure performed to remove baggy skin under the lower eye lids and any excess skin from the upper eye lid. It is also used to add or remove fat from the eye lids.
Eyelids undergo the following changes as you age:
- Excess skin on the eye lids
- Baggy skin under the eyes
- Droopy eye lids
- Tired appearance of the eyes
The presence of excess skin on the eye lids can affect peripheral vision as the eye lids cover most part of the eye. These conditions may be caused as a result of the normal process of ageing or it could be due to a symptom of some other medical condition.
Therefore, Blepharoplasty has certain functional medical benefits which are detailed below:
1. Pachydermoperiostosis: This condition is a rare hereditary disorder that is characterized by digital clubbing, thickening of the skin in the face and hands, pain and swelling in the eye with ocular discomfort, amongst other symptoms. Blepharoplasty helps remove the swelling from the eye and provides relief from ocular symptoms due to the disorder.
2. Blepharoptosis of myasthenia gravis: Myasthenia is an autoimmune disorder that is characterized by muscle weakness. Another common symptom found in patients with myasthenia gravis is drooping of one or both the eyelids called blepharoptosis. Blepharoplasty will help such patients open their eyelids, thereby aiding in better vision, in one or both the eye lids.
3. Orbital Neurofirbromatosis: Orbital neurofibromatosis is characterized by the development of bulging out of the eye (proptosis), impairment of ocular motility, drooping of the upper eye lid (ptosis) amongst other symptoms. Blepharoplasty helps deliver functional benefits like removing the excess eye lid fat from such patients.
4. Vision improvement among people with drooping eyelids. Drooping eyelids is a congenital disorder and affects the field of vision due to low hanging eyelids. Advanced age can also lead to increased skin on the upper eye lids, necessitating blepharoplasty to improve vision.
5. Relief from certain ocular symptoms after disease conditions: Certain diseases like leprosy can affect facial symmetry and the accumulation of fat and skin around the eyes, resulting in interference to the field of vision. If residing in and near Chicago eye lid surgery like Blepharoplasty, under trained hands, can provide functional benefits.
Blepharoplasty has many functional benefits but one of the most significant is its effect on the self-esteem of the patient. A study by Viana GA et al and published in the Dermatologic Surgery in August 2010 has reported a remarkable 62% increase in self-esteem among patients after the surgery. A similar study was conducted by Bullock JD et al and published in journal the Transactions of the American Ophthalmological society. This study displayed pictures of patients before and after blepharoplasty to study subjects and studied preferences and feedback. The results of the study indicated that blepharoptosis or drooping /low hanging eye lids were viewed negatively; indicating significantly that people with such condition may be associated with unjust bias. However, treatment options exist that can provide relief for such patients and instill in them confidence. If you are considering blepharoplasty in the Hinsdale or Chicago area, contact Dr Wafik A Hanna, Chicago Blepharoplasty surgeon,