Blepharoplasty is the procedure performed to remove baggy skin under the lower eye lids and any excess skin from the upper eye lid. It is also used to add or remove fat from the eye lids.
Eyelids undergo the following changes as you age:
- Excess skin on the eye lids
- Baggy skin under the eyes
- Droopy eye lids
- Tired appearance of the eyes
The presence of excess skin on the eye lids can affect peripheral vision as the eye lids cover most part of the eye. These conditions may be caused as a result of the normal process of ageing or it could be due to a symptom of some other medical condition.
Therefore, Blepharoplasty has certain functional medical benefits which are detailed below:
1. Pachydermoperiostosis: This condition is a rare hereditary disorder that is characterized by digital clubbing, thickening of the skin in the face and hands, pain and swelling in the eye with ocular discomfort, amongst other symptoms. Blepharoplasty helps remove the swelling from the eye and provides relief from ocular symptoms due to the disorder.
2. Blepharoplastosis of myasthenia gravis: Myasthenia is an autoimmune disorder that is characterized by muscle weakness. Another common symptom found in patients with myasthenia gravis is drooping of one or both the eyelids called blepharoptosis. Blepharoplasty will help such patients open their eyelids, thereby aiding in better vision, in one or both the eye lids.
3. Orbital Neurofirbromatosis: Orbital neurofibromatosis is characterized by the development of bulging out of the eye (proptosis), impairment of ocular motility, drooping of the upper eye lid (ptosis) amongst other symptoms. Blepharoplasty helps deliver functional benefits like removing the excess eye lid fat from such patients.
4. Vision improvement among people with drooping eyelids. Drooping eyelids is a congenital disorder and affects the field of vision due to low hanging eyelids. Advanced age can also lead to increased skin on the upper eye lids, necessitating blepharoplasty to improve vision.
5. Relief from certain ocular symptoms after disease conditions: Certain diseases like leprosy can affect facial symmetry and the accumulation of fat and skin around the eyes, resulting in interference to the field of vision. If residing in and near Chicago eye lid surgery like Blepharoplasty, under trained hands, can provide functional benefits.
Blepharoplasty has many functional benefits but one of the most significant is its effect on the self-esteem of the patient. A study by Viana GA et al and published in the Dermatologic Surgery in August 2010 has reported a remarkable 62% increase in self-esteem among patients after the surgery. A similar study was conducted by Bullock JD et al and published in journal the Transactions of the American Opthalmological society. This study displayed pictures of patients before and after blepharoplasty to study subjects and studied preferences and feedback. The results of the study indicated that blepharoptosis or drooping /low hanging eye lids were viewed negatively; indicating significantly that people with such condition may be associated with unjust bias. However, treatment options exist that can provide relief for such patients and instill in them confidence. If you are considering blepharoplasty in the Hinsdale or Chicago area, contact Dr Wafik A Hanna, Chicago Blepharoplasty surgeon,
When researchers Bullock JD et al displayed pictures of patients before and after blepharoplasty to study subjects, they were in for a surprise. The study, published in the journal Transactions of the American Opthalmological society, showed how people with drooping eye lids or sagging skin were viewed negatively.
This situation is not restricted to a study environment but extends to the way an individual is perceived at workplace too. Here are some of the ways facial cosmetic surgery could improve workplace confidence.
Look Attractive: It is well known that good looking people gain better jobs and promotions when compared with people who are not. This has encouraged many people to seek surgical improvements that will help them garner better positions and benefit from the increased attention and popularity. An attractive face is a boost, especially for people in high profile jobs, which involve plenty of presentations to be given and meetings with successful clients. It is a foregone conclusion that people pay more attention to a pretty head than otherwise, so in order to make a good impression, looking good could be the first step.
Look younger: Hinsdale residents can now start looking younger and Hanna facial plastic surgery has to offer lets you erase age lines, wrinkles and creases to make the individual look even 15 to 20 years younger than they do now. It is not just in the media business, but even otherwise, people who look younger are more likely to look more capable of carrying out tasks. Looking younger is also associated with having more energy, being healthier and more capable of heading important projects. This will help in significant projects being assigned to you.
Stop looking tired: The excess fat around the eyes and the wrinkles tend to make people look tired all the time, even when they are not. This could lead to misconceptions about the quality of work that you are capable of producing, resulting in missed promotions and lost opportunities to work on crucial projects. Plastic surgery can essentially remove the excess fat and wrinkles around the eyes, making the skin around the eyes taut. This will remove the tired expression and give you a smarter looking fresh you!
Exude confidence: Viana GA and fellow researchers found in their study published in the Dermatologic Surgery that the self-esteem of patients after blepharoplasty (cosmetic eyelid surgery) increased by 62%, a substantial increase in confidence indeed! This confidence won’t just make you a happier person but it will help improve your interpersonal skills and your ability to network between teams in your organization. Apart from enjoying all the attention, making more friends at work and doing your job well, you will also move up your career ladder a lot faster.
We live in a highly competitive world and cosmetic facial plastic surgery could give you the winning edge. For residents of Chicago, Dr Wafik A Hanna, an expert facial cosmetic surgeon in Chicago can secure them with all the advantages they seek.
A recent study published in the February issue of JAMA Facial plastic surgery by researchers Palsely et al has shown how rhinoplasty can improve airflow in patients suffering from External Nasal Valve Dysfunction (ENVD). This study, conducted in Australia, was carried out on 19 patients suffering from nasal blockage due to ENVD and brought to the fore that rhinoplasty increased air flow for the patients.
Comfortable breathing patterns aid in better sleep and form the basis of using rhinoplasty as a solution for sleep disorders. Functional rhinoplasty involves the use of the procedure to set right conditions that affect the nasal passage while aesthetic appeal is also taken into consideration, right here in Chicago nose contouring, to ensure that the patient is comfortable with the results, blurring the distinction between functional rhinoplasty and cosmetic rhinoplasty.
Nasal congestion can affect sleep to a large extent, and according to a study by researchers Stull DE et al and published in the journal Current Medical Research and Opinion in April 2007, nasal congestion can have a negative impact on the person’s life. This study has highlighted that nasal congestion could increase ‘sleep problems, fatigue, shortness of breath, headache and daytime somnolence’.
Patients who suffer from the following symptoms would benefit if they consulted the doctor about further investigations
• Nasal blockage
• Reduction in the sense of smell
• Breathing from the mouth(especially at night)
• Sleep apnea- a condition where there are pauses in breathing while sleeping
• Dry mouth
• Snoring- snoring is not an alarming condition but it can affect the quality of sleep for the individual as well as for the spouse.
When these symptoms are left untreated for a prolonged period of time the person could develop further, more severe, complications like recurrent sinus head ache and infections, disturbance while sleeping and even heart diseases.
A good restful sleep is necessary to work effectively the next day. Here are some of the nasal conditions for which Hinsdale rhinoplasty may be considered as a means for functional improvement:
1. Deviated Nasal septum: Deviated nasal septum is very common and can lead to increased mucous discharge which results in a blocked nose. The nasal septum forms the median line that separates the two nasal passages; therefore, even a small deformity in the septum will have a significant impact on the nasal obstruction. Rhinoplasty is performed to treat this condition, along with septoplasty, to set right the septum deviation and to improve air passage.
2. Narrowing of the nasal valve: The nasal valve offers maximum resistance to the air passage as the nasal valve is the narrowest part of the nasal cavity. The following conditions could result in nasal valve narrowing
a. The lateral wall may be displaced due to trauma
b. Inferior turbinate hypertrophy
c. Deviated nasal septum
d. Patients with a ‘narrow nose syndrome’
e. Patients suffering from facial paralysis
3. Hypertrophy of the inferior turbinate: An enlargement of the turbinates can lead to an obstruction of the air passage. Reduction of the turbinates is necessary to bring the nasal passage back to normal.
4. Choanal Atresia: This is a congenital condition with an occurrence of 1 in 5000 to 7000 live births and is characterized by nasal blockage. Choanal atresia is normally identified by Pediatricians but first time diagnosis has also been recorded in the adult populations.
5. Trauma or previous surgery in the sino-nasal region: There are many conditions that could affect the nasal passage due to trauma and they include
a. Fractures in the nasal septum
b. Scarring in the nasal valve
c. Perforation of the septum due to the cocaine usage
6. Sino nasal inflammatory disease: Many diseases can lead to the development of
These could result in the obstruction of the nasal passage, requiring treatment.
7. Skin cancer: The growth of skin cancer, especially lesions on the nose, requires treatment and surgical intervention. The polyps are small and grape like but would require surgical removal to restore normal air passage.
Treatment of such conditions with rhinoplasty involves removal of nasal obstructions with appropriate nasal changes accommodated to promote better breathing. A normal breathing pattern encourages better sleep, indicating the necessity to clear your air ways. Consultation with leading Chicago rhinoplasty surgeon Dr Wafik A. Hanna would get you the results you are looking for.
Cosmetic surgery is more commonly accepted today than ever before. The quest for the fountain of youth is as old as humanity. Fortunately, today’s facial cosmetic techniques make this age-old quest more reality than fantasy. The rise in popularity of facial cosmetic surgery is due to less guilt about altering our facial features and bodies. Men are joining the women and no longer feel they are being self-indulgent.
One way to ensure a balanced relationship of features, or to correct the ravages that time inflicts on the face, is to perform multiple procedures . A typical combination of procedures might be a face lift with liposuction, eyelid reconstruction, nose and ear contouring, chin augmentation and laser resurfacing.
By combining multiple facial cosmetic procedures in to a single operation, the surgeon can achieve a balance of natural-looking features that complement each other.
Aging gradually affects every part of the face, but there are cosmetic surgeries that enhance appearance:
- A face lift can be performed when skin appears loose and less elastic;
- To eliminate fat pads around the chin, jowls, cheek, jaw-line or neck, liposuction sculpturing is recommended to break up and remove fat;
- To create higher cheek bones, an implant can be inserted;
- Forehead drooping or eyebrow laxity can be corrected with an upper-third lifting procedure;
- The nose, which generally starts drooping during middle age, can be refined, while conserving or improving respiratory function;
- Sometimes a receding chin accentuates a large nose and makes the neck appear shorter. This can be corrected with an implant to balance the face;
- Those who have misshaped, protruding ears can obtain a more pleasing appearance with ear reconstruction;
- Excess skin of the upper eyelids might begin to sag with lower eyelid bagging and wrinkling. Eyelid reconstruction can correct this;
- Small lines at corners of the mouth, above and below the lips, and multiple facial wrinkles can benefit with laser resurfacing or dermabrasion and collagen treatments;
- Slim lips can be made fuller with lip augmentation or restylane treatments.
Surgical Team Effort
The undertaking of such combined surgical approaches requires a team effort on behalf of the anesthesiologist, surgeon, surgical nurses and patient.
Excellent anesthesia is essential. The patient has no perception of the length surgical time involved and is quite comfortable throughout the entire operation. Consequently, there is no postoperative pain when all procedures are performed atraumatically. Complete rehabilitation of the aging face can be performed in a single setting with minimal patient discomfort.
As with other surgery, to determine patient suitability, preoperative laboratory work is required; including blood work-up, electrocardiogram, urinalysis, and chest x-ray. A good candidate is in optimal physical condition. Any contraindications should be evaluated and corrected before surgery can be performed.
Same Day Surgery
Multiple procedures can be performed as day surgery in either a hospital or surgical center, allowing the patient to return home that same day. The time it takes to recuperate is minimized since surgery is only performed once. Depending on which procedures are performed, the healing process takes one to two weeks.
The growing acceptance of cosmetic surgery has made facial improvements commonplace. In the past several years, facial cosmetic techniques have changed dramatically with newer advances and the refinement of established procedures, resulting in longer lasting and far more impressive outcomes. Today’s surgically altered appearance is more natural and less stereotyped.
Our society places emphasis on health, fitness and beauty. Looking better can help create a healthy, positive outlook. Few seek perfection.
Eye contact is of paramount importance! In a person’s daily interaction with others, one of the first facial features we notice immediately are the eyes.
The eye and brow region are the most attractive, expressive units of the face. The mobility of the eyebrow is an important component of facial expression. The eyebrows are considered a frame for the eyes and the location of the brow contributes to the appearance of a youthful, attractive eye.
Any detraction from these features can be quite noticeable. For this reason, surgical rejuvenation of the upper third of the face is a vitally important part of aesthetic facial surgery.
Significant drooping of the eyebrows and consequent hooding over the eyes may portray an incorrect communication about your age, mood or feelings to others. Downward displacement of the medial (inner third) eyebrow makes a person appear older and look angry or annoyed. Lateral drooping of the brows might cause a tired, sad or older appearance.
In more severe cases, heaviness of the eyebrows contributes to the interference of upward and peripheral version, as does drooping eyelid tissue. This is due to a partial or complete loss of sensation or motion (especially voluntary motion) of the tissues and muscles.
Lacking this necessary ability and strength, the eyebrow is incapable of functioning normally, and the person habitually contracts the forehead muscles in order to have a better visual field. They, in turn, not only have difficulties relaxing the tension they have placed on their forehead muscles, but many experience constant headaches from this strain.
The direct eyebrow lift approach is utilized to adjust the muscles and lift up the entire brow area. This decreases the amount of excess skin and reduces wrinkles and consequent hooding of the medial (inner third) portion and the later (outer) portion of the eyebrow. Any procedure designed to elevate the eyebrows can cause a slightly surprised look. Sometimes this is disconcerting to the patient, but it need not be. Invariably, the muscles are over corrected. Following surgery, there is a settling that soon takes place.
For long-term effectiveness, great care is taken to orient the placement of the incision. The further away the incision site is from the area being treated, the less effective the lift. Therefore, better results can be obtained when the incision is placed close to the eyebrow. The incision should be placed in a natural crease closest to and along the upper limit of the eyebrow.
The direct eyebrow lift would be contraindicated for those who might have a history of abnormal scarring. A desirable lift, on the appropriate candidate, might be obtained with minimal and acceptable scarring. Light dermabrasion (sanding of the skin), if needed, can be performed a few months afterwards. Scars usually take several months to mature. The detection of scar is usually not noticeable. Incisions made within the edge of the eyebrow hairline are normally very kind in healing. A well defined upper boarder of hair bearing skin is, therefore, quite important. A dense brow helps conceal a scar more thoroughly. Furthermore, a woman has the advantage of using makeup or an eyebrow pencil to camouflage any detectable scar.
The facial skin type and texture is noted. The direct brow lift is reserved for patients who have soft, non-oily skin. The eyebrow lift would be contraindicated for those with thick, oily, porous, Mediterranean-type skin. An alternate lifting approach might be more suitable; such as, the coronal or pretrichial forehead lift, the mid-forehead lift, or the temporal lift.
The eyebrows are dependent on the forehead for support of gravity as the upper eyelids are dependent on the eyebrows. When the eyebrow is located below the supraorbital rim, it produces drooping on the upper eyelid. Many patients would not be satisfied with the correction of the eyebrows alone, if loose and damaged skin remains on the upper eyelids and vice versa. If correction of the upper eyelids was performed and drooping eyebrows still are prelevant, having the upper eyelid procedure performed in conjunction with the eyebrows can achieve an aesthetic and functional improvement. Lower eyelid surgery can assuredly be beneficial, at the same time, when protruding fat pouches or loose skin is present. This would balance the effect.
The upper face always will hold equal significance as the middle and lower thirds of the face. However, in many cases, the upper face is the key element when seeking facial rejuvenation.